Poisonous Plants For Dogs Keep Your Pup Safe

Poisonous Plants For DogsKeep Your Pup Safe

By: - Pets - September 2, 2011
poisonous plants for dogs keep your pup safe

Though it is a wonderful idea to have plants in and around your home, some of them just won’t mix with your pets. If you are a dog owner, knowing a few of the common poisonous plants for dogs can be the difference between a happy, healthy pet or a dog that is very ill and could potentially die. Cats are not immune to plants either, so keep in mind there are some common poisonous plants for cats as well.

Some of the most poisonous plants for dogs include castor beans, choke cherry, English ivy, nightshade, rhubarb and Japanese yew. Every single plant listed there can cause death in dogs. If you have a dog, the best thing to do is remove all of these from your home and property. When it comes to poisonous plants for dogs that can make your dog ill, but probably not die are tulip bulbs, poinsettia, oats, morning glory, mistletoe, lily of the valley, foxglove, daffodil and azalea. These are plants you need to severely limit access to when it comes to your dog.

Poisonous plants for cats are quite the same as for dogs with a few dangerous additions like cactus, dieffenbachia, caladium, and amaryllis. All of these can be deadly for your cat. If you allow your cat outside, you will have to be extra careful since they can have access to many plants you may not have in your home. Cats do tend to like to eat plants more than dogs, so you should always keep an eye on your when around unknown plants. All of the poisonous plants for cats listed can cause death.

If you suspect that your pet has eaten one of these poisonous plants, you need to get them to the vet as soon as possible as well as bring a sample of the plant that was ingested. You can additionally call poison control in your area as you would with a human and they can assist you on the telephone until you can get to a vet.  Don’t take a chance and waste time searching the internet or books to try to treat your pet yourself. Some of these plants can kill your pet in less than 15 minutes.

Try to keep your pet calm and if you can get them to vomit, that can be a way to get some of the poison out. Giving them a few teaspoons of hydrogen peroxide can help, but it will not be an antidote and should never be a substitute for a trip to the vet.

  •